#CARMAGEDDON IS COMING!
This week in Los Angeles, the entire city is having a panic attack over a two-day closure of the 405 Freeway. Well, except for cyclists.
Even L.A.'s Mayor Villaraigosa is warning folks to "plan ahead, avoid the area, or stay home".
JetBlue Airlines even offered $4 non-stop flights from Burbank to Long Beach.
The city's cyclists, however, are a creative and resourceful bunch. I'm proud to be one of them.
What started out as a few jokes online among local cyclists and public transportation advocates on Twitter and Facebook, very quickly turned to action this afternoon.
As a result, this Saturday something awesome is about to happen.
The Wolfpack Hustle, one of L.A.'s most skilled and experienced cycling groups, is challenging JetBlue Airlines to a race from Burbank to Long Beach. Here's a time-line of how this all went down today via a series of status updates:
and I did.
and within not so many minutes.....
We're excited to announce that JetBlue has gracefully accepted the challenged and has offered me a seat on a flight from Burbank to Long Beach on Saturday. (Update: JetBlue has not explicitly endorsed the event.)
The JetBlue* flight departs from Burbank Airport Saturday July 16 at 12:20 PM.
I'll be onboard Tweeting, Instaggram-ing, and taking video of the flight, and we'll have a crew on the ground covering the race from door-to-door.
All riders will depart from the same location, the Burbank Airport, at the same time, and be required to follow all traffic laws.
Who will win?
More details to come as they develop. I hope you'll be following along!
***If you'd like to help out by Sponsoring the race, and ideally offering a prize for the riders if they win, please get in touch with either me or Roadblock of Wolfpack Hustle asap!
Please use the hashtag #FlightVsBike when discussing on twitter or tagging pics, video or related content around the web!
UPDATE (7/15 12:37PM PST): Ride rules and details (Subject to change, more details as they become available)
- Cyclists will depart from a residence near the intersection of Cahuenga and Chandler Blvd. in North Hollywood at 10:50 AM PST (Saturday, July 16) Flight Departs 12:20pm and we're basing the cyclists' departure time on the airline's recommended passenger arrival time of 1.50 hours before departure. (we're doing a little less to be fair)
- Cyclists will be required to follow all traffic laws.
- The finish line is the light house at the Shoreline Aquatic Park in Long Beach (adjacent to Acquarium of the Pacific)
- Ezra and I will take a cab from LGB to the finish line courtesy of GaryRidesBikes
- FIRST TO ARRIVE AT THE LIGHT HOUSE WINS!
More details to come. Check back here, follow Twitter hashtag #flightvsbike and accounts @bikecommutenews @wolfpackhustle @ohaijoe @ezrahorne for more updates as they develop.
*Very special thanks to JetBlue for playing along :0)